I wanted to do six episodes of varying length of the webseries and it was after attending a couple of events and courses with Digital Creators in London that it became clear this was a bad idea.
You see, looking at the footage of the pilot, I realised we had about 20 minutes of material and the overwhelming advice I was getting was to keep ‘episodes’ to up to five minutes.
Our plan was to edit and the release the pilot and then crowdfund the series. The choice, as I saw it was to produce a tight five minute version of the pilot or rethink the whole project and make each episode muti-part serials of five minutes each.
We opted for the latter and I rewrote the pilot after shooting it into a multi-part version. This meant losing some bits which went on too long for pace and also filming some new bits. As this is a spoof documentary, I thought the two changes to bring in were talking heads and a narrator.
Hopefully, it will be the better for it when all finished and put together.